2018 FATBACK SKOOKUM / FLT
Video courtesy of Pat Smage, Fatback Bikes and First Track Productions.
(Filmed on location in Bootleg Canyon, new Las Vegas Nevada)
SKOOKUM - THE MOST CAPABLE BIKE YOU HAVE EVER RIDDEN!
Fatback says, "We designed the Skookum to be great mountain bike, not just a great fat bike. When conceptualizing the Skookum we took the things we love about our favorite mountain bikes; agility, speed and sexy lines, and combined those with the amazing capabilities of a 26″ X 4.8″ tire; traction, stability, flotation, and comfort. With all of our desires written on sticky notes and napkins, we put them all together and the Skookum was born. Designed around a 120mm travel fork and aggressive geometry, we included internally routed dropper post routing, integrated down tube and chain stay protectors, a 197mm through axle, and clearance for narrow Q Factor cranks (for a fat bike).
The results were amazing! Many of us have options when we going to the garage to grab a bike, and the more we ride the Skookum the better it gets. It's now the first bike we think about pulling off the rack, no matter the season or conditions."
WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A FATBACK FLT
The crew here at Fatback Bikes is always making tweaks to their personal bikes to make them just a little better; trying new tires, brakes, drivetrains… So naturally we do the same with the products we make. We asked ourselves, "Can we make this bike stiffer, lighter, more comfortable and increase cold weather performance?" "Can we improve clearance for larger tires while maintaining narrow Q-factor?" Each model is designed for a certain purpose and we focused on what would make the bike pedal, handle and look better than ever. Each little aspect of design and performance is contemplated to see what we could improve upon. With this dedication to improvement, we have released the new FLT product line focusing on light weight, high performance and premium ride quality bicycle frames and components.
SKOOKUM FLT - FATTER, LIGHTER, STIFFER, NO COMPROMISES.
With the explosion of fat biking off the snow and on to trails we were not satisfied with just bringing another a fat bike to market. The crew at Fatback wanted to stay ahead of the others and create the highest performance fat bike available. Our next logical step was taking the Amazing platform of the Skookum and making it even better. Carbon is a wonderful thing; we've chosen the best materials and have meticulously adjusted the layup to create a highly tuned perfectly handling ride.
If you want the best? Look no further. Have you ever dreamt of carving hard through a turn and almost dragging your grip in the dirt? The Skookum FLT will give you the confidence to try.
" After three years this bike still amazes me, I have not found it’s limits. It’s fast and smooth, light and solid, agile and stable ...This fat bike really can replace multiple bikes in your garage if you are that kind of person, but could as easily be your only bike for summer and winter riding. Another recent boost for the Skookum is a suspension fork that can handle the terrain and speed of the Skookum, the Manitou Mastodon. These two were made for each other (this is another reason I keep getting faster). " by FuzzyJohn, FATBACK Bikes
" Personally, I remain impressed by the Skookum and easily put it at the top of the list for consideration when you are looking for a 4-season, 5-inch platform, fat bike that does a lot of things well with few compromises. " by Greg Smith, FAT-BIKE.com
" I hopped on the Skookum and headed to the start of the ride... My day ended up being about 24 miles round trip, about 15 of which were on the ice. I was very comfortable on the Fatback the entire ride, never doubting my traction or stability. I may have gotten a little too comfortable, laying down some sweet “power slides”. This is yet another example of what I liked most and I think sums up the bike best… It is extremely capable and MAKES you have even more fun! " - Aris, and Greg Smith, FAT-BIKE.com
"The Fatback Skookum is easily the most ambitious bike that I’ve (ever) had the pleasure to ride."... "Personally, I have found myself contemplating consolidating my cycling collection, and the Skookum would fulfill many a need. The wheel and tire options alone make the bike worth considering, as this could truly be a four-season solution. Couple this with the playful demeanor of the Skookum, and you’re presented with a very appealing candidate for the one bike to scratch every itch." - Alec Cervenka
"the Skookum really shines in its versatility but also in its playfulness on aggressive trails. This really isn’t the bike if your idea of fat biking is slowly plodding along in the woods. But if you’re looking to push the limits of traction and suspension regardless of the temperature, the Skookum is indeed quite impressive." - Zach Overholt
"Skookum is a very cool bike. If I were buying a high end fatty in the near future, this would be at the top of my list" - Haramania
Fatback Bikes review at Interbike 2015 - Fatback Skookum - VIDEO by FuzzyJohn Fatback Brand Manager
Prices updated 8 JUL 2018
Exchange rate : $1 USD = $1.35 CDN
- Skookum FRAMESET = 2500 USD = $3350 CDN
- Skookum FLT FRAMESET = 2900 USD = $3875 CDN
- Skookum GX1 = 3399 USD = $4550 CDN
- Skookum SLX = 3599 USD = $4798 CDN
- Skookum XO1 = 4250 USD = $5695 CDN
- Skookum XT = 4250 USD = $5695 CDN
- Skookum GX1 EAGLE (12spd) = 3899 USD = $5225 CDN
- Skookum XO1 EAGLE (12spd) = 5075 USD = $6798 CDN
- Skookum FLT GX1 = 3999 USD = $5360 CDN
- Skookum FLT SLX = 4199 USD = $5625 CDN
- Skookum FLT XO1 = 4850 USD = $6500 CDN
- Skookum FLT XT = 4850 USD = $6500 CDN
- Skookum FLT GX1 EAGLE (12spd) = 4499 USD = $6030 CDN
- Skookum FLT XO1 EAGLE (12spd) = 5675 USD = $7598 CDN
MASTODON PRO EXT 120mm suspension forks (included / no charge upgrade)
$265 CDN upcharge = Mulefut SL80 wheelset > to the DT SWISS BR 710's (only for stock Skookum - FREE on FLT spec)
$1150 CDN upcharge from DT SWISS BR 710 wheelset to Dirt Components THUMPER carbon wheelset w/house hubs
$1138 CDN upcharge from DT SWISS BR 710 wheelset to the Fatback Footprint carbon wheelset w/FB Alaska hubs
$1950 CDN upcharge from DT SWISS BR 710 wheelset to Dirt Components THUMPER carbon wheelset w/Industry Nine Torch hubs
$2175 CDN upcharge from DT SWISS BR 710 wheelset to the Fatback Footprint carbon wheelset w/Industry Nine Torch Hubs
DROPPER POST UPGRADE
$550 CDN upgrade = 9point8 FALL LINE dropper post (**HIGHLY-RECOMMENDED**)
TUBELESS TIRE CONVERSION
- Orange Seal Rim Tape, Valve Stems, Sealant and Tubeless Tire mounting and installation on new rims = $120 upcharge
CARBON BAR AND POST UPGRADE
- Alloy to Fatback Carbon handlebar upgrade = $159 CDN
- Alloy to Fatback Carbon Seatpost upgrade = $85 CDN
- FRAME MATERIAL - Full carbon frame with 3 integrated frame protectors
- REAR DROPOUT SPACING - 197 x 12mm
- DROPPER POST ROUTING - Internal
- FORK COMPATIBILITY - Optimized for 120mm suspension forks
- MAX TIRE SIZE - 5.0in
- STOCK TIRES - Schwalble Liteskin Jumbo Jim 26x4.8in (or 4.0in)
- RECOMMENDED TIRE SIZES - 26 x 3.8 to 4.8in, or 27.5 PLUS
- DRIVETRAIN - Optimized for 1x11 and 1x12 spd
- CHAIN RING CLEARANCE - up to 34T (round ring) Stock = 30T
- HEADSET - Integrated 1 1/8" Upper(Campy) - 1 1/5" Lower
- BOTTOM BRACKET - 100mm BSA threaded
- SEAT COLLAR - 34.9mm
- SEATPOST - 31.6mm
- SKOOKUM - includes MuleFUT SL80 wheelset, Mastodon PRO suspension fork)
- SKOOKUM FLT - includes DT SWISS wheelset upgrade, 0.5 lb lighter and stiffer FLT race-spec AM-rated frame, and the Mastodon PRO STD 120mm suspension fork
- FLT-spec race frames shave (0.5-1.0 lbs) off standard Skookum frame, and are rated for All-Mountain use
- FRAMESET includes - Skookum/FLT carbon race frame, Mastodon PRO 120 suspension fork, headset, through axles, and seat collar.
- COMPLETE FLT BUILDS BETWEEN 25 to 27 LBS.
Skookum FLT - Black/Red/White (only)
Skookum - Chinook White/Black/Red or Moss Green/Blue/White
2018 FATBACK SKOOKUM GEOMETRY
SKOOKUM / FLT BUILD KIT SPECS
RIDEFATBIKES.ca CYCLING APPAREL
Designed to match your FATBACK FLT SKOOKUM OR CORVUS, the 2017-18 RideFATbikes.ca Winter Race Jacket